25 February 2008

PAIA 9700S (Part 5)

I finished soldering the 9710 VCA PCB as well. This time no parts missing :) The VCA (Voltage Controlled Amplifier) module actually holds 2 VCA's a Balanced Modulator a White Noise source and an Envelope Generator. So it is a very versatile module. After finishing the PCB I started with wiring the front panel components on the back. And thought it would be a good idea to tell you a little bit about his.

The first thing that has to be done each time is solder a bare wire (no insulation) on all the signal ground points on the mini jacks. In the picture on the left and right you can see this. On the VCA module there are also some resistors and a diode directly attached to some components. So if you are soldering a module and you have some components left, don't throw them away :) You might need them later. PAIA also includes some insulation hose to put over the leads of some components to prevent them from touching other stuff. After installing the initial wires to the front panel it is time to join the front panel and PCB together.

This process if fairly easy. On the left you see the screws and nuts that are used. You first mount the 'L' brackets to the PCB with the blank bolts and nuts and after that the you simply screw the front panel to the PCB. One thing that is always tricky is to get the power led to go into the whole in the front panel first. I did this afterwards every time, though the manual suggest differently, but this is the way I was used to do this in the past. The construction looks and feels quite solid actually. I must compliment PAIA again though that everything you need is supplied in the kit. You can build it with just some simple tools. I will do a posting on the end of this project which tools I actually used, so when you plan to build it yourself you will know what you need.

On the right you see the PCB attached to the front panel. The only thing left to do now is solder the wiring from the PCB to the front panel component. This is a job you really should take your time for. A mistake is easily made. In this kit I found the wiring to be of the same type as in the VCF module by the way. The 'turning black quick' type. So I'll have to be very careful again at this job as well. But this project is going quite smoothly so far. I will try to pick up the missing 1% resistor from the VCF module today so I can finish that as well. Not more than 5 minutes work after that. In the next posting I guess I will have finished the VCA module as well. We will see :)

No comments: